Friday, January 11, 2008

Nonsence

Like a lot of Blog-Spotters I belong to Google’s Ad Sense. With Ad Sense businesses can advertise on blogs and the revenue gets shared between Blog spot and the Blogger's themselves. Blogger's create content in endless quantities, and get free hosting, while advertisers only pay when somebody reacts to an advertisement. A really good blogger might make beer money as well as get a free service. To me it’s a true win-win.

Still, you have got to appreciate how difficult it is to automate which ad goes where among gazillions of small blogs. Google tries to be smart about trying to automatically tie the blog content to the ads themselves, which sometimes has some odd results. Case in point, my first entry here was titled ‘the nose job’ referring to my breaking and later fixing my cars fiberglass nose. As a result the first ad from Google was for plastic surgery in Los Angeles. Uh, not quite, but I’m sure they’ll keep working on it. Meanwhile… back to the day job.

Update: My bad, turns out there is a control for the blog's creator to choose content. I obviously went with automotive as the closest match...

No comments: