Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lost Hill


...Or Magic Mountain, whatever you want to call it (there are some stories about ButtonWillow's corner names but that's another post) is a corner I was always having trouble with.

Here T.W. is putting on some pressure on me at the lost hill turn. My problem turned out to be the rear springs. They were too soft, so when I went to turn in the back of the car would lean more than the front. That leads to a jacking effect as the opposite front tire starts to lift off the ground.

The feeling was a corner entry push, or understeer with a lazy turn-in, followed by a nice squat into a good rotation and no understeer through the rest of the corner. It would do everything the other cars were doing, it would just take longer to do it.

It turned out that my car, being older, had the orginal softer springs on the rear. A cheap and quick fix that changed the whole nature of what the car could do at the 'Lost Hill.' T.W. is going to have to find another spot to climb up my rear bumper from now on...

No comments: